Thursday, March 22, 2012

Rudy's Tacos

This week's date was to Rudy's Tacos, 2214 E. 11th St., Davenport. Rudy's has several locations around the Quad Cities, and to my knowledge it is not a national or regional chain beyond the QCA, but I could be wrong. Hopefully I don't end up like the poor 85 year old lady who published a rave review of Olive Garden in the Grand Forks (ND) Herald.
Rudy's is OK. You're not going to be blown away by the flavors, freshness or authenticity here, but you'll get a decent-tasting meal. The food is what I like to call "Gringo Mexican", which is to say that it has a standard menu of what Americans think Mexican food should be. The upside to Gringo Mexican is that my dining companion loves it, and that makes it worth the drive. I had the "Super Burrito", which is one of my favorites at such establishments. I would have liked it to have a little more spice, a little more flavor in general, and a little less cheese. That's right, less cheese.
Jane had the Chimichanga, which I tasted. It was a decent chimi, but nothing to do backflips over - a big, fat, fried burrito.
All in all, we'll probably revisit Rudy's the next time one of us has a craving for generic, not-quite-authentic Mexican food, and as with every week's lunch date, the best part of the trip is the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment